Students learn the dangers of the kitchen as Cleveland Fire Brigade launches safety campaign (From Darlington and Stockton Times)
Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DST to 80360 or email us
Students learn the dangers of the kitchen as Cleveland Fire Brigade launches safety campaign
STUDENTS have been learning about the dangers lurking in the kitchen when firefighters dropped into their college to highlight safety lessons.
Cleveland Fire Brigade launched its Kitchen Fire Safety campaign today (February 14) to raise awareness of the most dangerous room in the home and how to prevent a fire occurring there.
And to help get the message across they organised a cooking competition and chip pan fire demonstration.
In 2013, almost 50 per cent of accidental house fires started in the kitchen across Cleveland, the main causes being leaving cooking unattended, chip pans and grill pans.
Phil Lancaster, Director of Community Protection with Cleveland Fire Brigade, said: “This is a really important and high profile campaign as almost half of house fires across Cleveland start in the kitchen and by following a few simple tips, they could be prevented.
“We will be reaching out to all our communities across the area throughout February, in particular those most vulnerable to ensure they stay safe.
“You wouldn’t really think it but the kitchen is the most dangerous room in your home and it’s where the most fires occur– remember your kitchen can kill.”
Under the watchful eye of the Cleveland Fire Support Network and fire safety personnel, students took part in the cook-off with the winning team receiving vouchers for Lotus Lounge Hide Bar in Yarm.
People can visit the brigade’s kitchen safety house and find out further safety information at www.clevelandfire.gov.uk/kitchen Free home fire safety visits can be arranged by calling 01429-874063.
Comments are closed on this article.