Durham Tories demand council tax freeze

Darlington and Stockton Times: Conservative leader Richard Bell and Labour leader Simon Henig Conservative leader Richard Bell and Labour leader Simon Henig

CONSERVATIVES have called on Durham County Council to freeze council tax.

Yesterday (Wednesday, February 12), the authority’s Labour cabinet backed a 1.99 per cent rise, the biggest allowed without triggering a local referendum, which would raise around £3.29m.

Tories say the council should accept the Government’s offer of a grant of £2.04m for freezing council tax.

The group says it would make up the resulting £1.25m shortfall, and more, by axing the council magazine Durham County News (£150,000) and centralising back office functions (£1.35m).

Tory leader Richard Bell said: “They (Labour) plan to charge local tax payers £3.29m for a net benefit to the council of £1.25m. That’s crazy economics.

“We have shown, with figures approved by council officers, how we can save the money to freeze council tax by making further back office savings, with £250,000 left over.

“Surely the council has a duty to maximise its own efficiency savings?”

The Liberal Democrat group has also called for a council tax freeze.

The council will set its budget on Wednesday, February 26.

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:51pm Thu 13 Feb 14

behonest says...

Given that Labour keep banging on about a 'cost of living crisis' surely it is a no-brainer to freeze council tax. Why would Labour hit local people with a £3m tax bill when they will only gain just over £1m from it?
Given that Labour keep banging on about a 'cost of living crisis' surely it is a no-brainer to freeze council tax. Why would Labour hit local people with a £3m tax bill when they will only gain just over £1m from it? behonest

7:09pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Jonn says...

'back office savings'. Is that political speak for job lossess, then label those made unemployed lazy and scroungers?
'back office savings'. Is that political speak for job lossess, then label those made unemployed lazy and scroungers? Jonn

7:53pm Thu 13 Feb 14

sineater says...

There has been £200 million of cuts,,iff the council tax does not go up front line services will be lost,your choice
There has been £200 million of cuts,,iff the council tax does not go up front line services will be lost,your choice sineater

8:45pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Daveindarlo says...

This is what Darlington council has been doing for years. It's labours core belief through and through they raising £1 in revenue for every £3 they're taxing here, that's the council saying to every single County Durham resident "one pound in our pockets is more important than three in yours!". It's treating the public with utter contempt. People should remember this at the next council elections.
This is what Darlington council has been doing for years. It's labours core belief through and through they raising £1 in revenue for every £3 they're taxing here, that's the council saying to every single County Durham resident "one pound in our pockets is more important than three in yours!". It's treating the public with utter contempt. People should remember this at the next council elections. Daveindarlo

8:49pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Voice-of-reality says...

Of course Labour will tax the people more. Keep them poor, deprive them of hope - and falsely pretend to represent them. Encourage those not gifted enough onto 'soft' degree subjects, get them into debt, and then let them languish on the dole - Labour likes to make people level - unfortunately it always does so by lowering to the lowest common denominator.
An excellent idea to cancel the county newspaper - it serves little benefit and surely the streamlining of 'back office jobs' is what we were promised by the then Labour Government when the4y created the present Durham monolith and disbanded the districts.
Of course Labour will tax the people more. Keep them poor, deprive them of hope - and falsely pretend to represent them. Encourage those not gifted enough onto 'soft' degree subjects, get them into debt, and then let them languish on the dole - Labour likes to make people level - unfortunately it always does so by lowering to the lowest common denominator. An excellent idea to cancel the county newspaper - it serves little benefit and surely the streamlining of 'back office jobs' is what we were promised by the then Labour Government when the4y created the present Durham monolith and disbanded the districts. Voice-of-reality

8:49pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Voice-of-reality says...

Of course Labour will tax the people more. Keep them poor, deprive them of hope - and falsely pretend to represent them. Encourage those not gifted enough onto 'soft' degree subjects, get them into debt, and then let them languish on the dole - Labour likes to make people level - unfortunately it always does so by lowering to the lowest common denominator.
An excellent idea to cancel the county newspaper - it serves little benefit and surely the streamlining of 'back office jobs' is what we were promised by the then Labour Government when they created the present Durham monolith and disbanded the districts.
Of course Labour will tax the people more. Keep them poor, deprive them of hope - and falsely pretend to represent them. Encourage those not gifted enough onto 'soft' degree subjects, get them into debt, and then let them languish on the dole - Labour likes to make people level - unfortunately it always does so by lowering to the lowest common denominator. An excellent idea to cancel the county newspaper - it serves little benefit and surely the streamlining of 'back office jobs' is what we were promised by the then Labour Government when they created the present Durham monolith and disbanded the districts. Voice-of-reality

10:57pm Thu 13 Feb 14

DURHAM CITY says...

sineater wrote:
There has been £200 million of cuts,,iff the council tax does not go up front line services will be lost,your choice
What has the Labour Cabinet in Durham being doing with the council tax over the last few years, nothing to show for it stop defending them and wake up will you my god
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: There has been £200 million of cuts,,iff the council tax does not go up front line services will be lost,your choice[/p][/quote]What has the Labour Cabinet in Durham being doing with the council tax over the last few years, nothing to show for it stop defending them and wake up will you my god DURHAM CITY

11:12pm Thu 13 Feb 14

DURHAM CITY says...

sineater wrote:
There has been £200 million of cuts,,iff the council tax does not go up front line services will be lost,your choice
Also by the way when you say its OUR CHOICE, its not our choice at all because them fools don't listen to the public and will continue to close most things regardless of council tax going up, or people power because they could not give a toss so stop keep blaming the cuts from goverment are you a labour councillor because you sound just like them I can't wait when they come crawling for votes I look forward to laughing in there faces like they do us. Jobs for the boys.
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: There has been £200 million of cuts,,iff the council tax does not go up front line services will be lost,your choice[/p][/quote]Also by the way when you say its OUR CHOICE, its not our choice at all because them fools don't listen to the public and will continue to close most things regardless of council tax going up, or people power because they could not give a toss so stop keep blaming the cuts from goverment are you a labour councillor because you sound just like them I can't wait when they come crawling for votes I look forward to laughing in there faces like they do us. Jobs for the boys. DURHAM CITY

9:27am Fri 14 Feb 14

David Lacey says...

Voice-of-reality wrote:
Of course Labour will tax the people more. Keep them poor, deprive them of hope - and falsely pretend to represent them. Encourage those not gifted enough onto 'soft' degree subjects, get them into debt, and then let them languish on the dole - Labour likes to make people level - unfortunately it always does so by lowering to the lowest common denominator.
An excellent idea to cancel the county newspaper - it serves little benefit and surely the streamlining of 'back office jobs' is what we were promised by the then Labour Government when the4y created the present Durham monolith and disbanded the districts.
Brilliant opening paragraph VOR. No matter how hard I try I could not put it better. Labour are the party of no hope. sadly I expect to see them back in power next year.
[quote][p][bold]Voice-of-reality[/bold] wrote: Of course Labour will tax the people more. Keep them poor, deprive them of hope - and falsely pretend to represent them. Encourage those not gifted enough onto 'soft' degree subjects, get them into debt, and then let them languish on the dole - Labour likes to make people level - unfortunately it always does so by lowering to the lowest common denominator. An excellent idea to cancel the county newspaper - it serves little benefit and surely the streamlining of 'back office jobs' is what we were promised by the then Labour Government when the4y created the present Durham monolith and disbanded the districts.[/p][/quote]Brilliant opening paragraph VOR. No matter how hard I try I could not put it better. Labour are the party of no hope. sadly I expect to see them back in power next year. David Lacey

1:18pm Fri 14 Feb 14

sineater says...

The tories are the party of no hope,iff you want the same services after £200 million of cuts ,the council tax has to go up !! you can't avoid that. It's no use pretending other wise because of your political stance. The other week David Lacey approved of the over spending on free schools,because of course that is not a labour project , what a hypocrite.
The tories are the party of no hope,iff you want the same services after £200 million of cuts ,the council tax has to go up !! you can't avoid that. It's no use pretending other wise because of your political stance. The other week David Lacey approved of the over spending on free schools,because of course that is not a labour project , what a hypocrite. sineater

11:10pm Sat 15 Feb 14

DURHAM CITY says...

sineater wrote:
The tories are the party of no hope,iff you want the same services after £200 million of cuts ,the council tax has to go up !! you can't avoid that. It's no use pretending other wise because of your political stance. The other week David Lacey approved of the over spending on free schools,because of course that is not a labour project , what a hypocrite.
its not our choice at all because them fools don't listen to the public and will continue to close most things regardless of council tax going up, or people power because they could not give a toss so stop keep blaming the cuts from goverment are you a labour councillor because you sound just like them I can't wait when they come crawling for votes I look forward to laughing in there faces like they do us. Jobs for the boys.
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: The tories are the party of no hope,iff you want the same services after £200 million of cuts ,the council tax has to go up !! you can't avoid that. It's no use pretending other wise because of your political stance. The other week David Lacey approved of the over spending on free schools,because of course that is not a labour project , what a hypocrite.[/p][/quote]its not our choice at all because them fools don't listen to the public and will continue to close most things regardless of council tax going up, or people power because they could not give a toss so stop keep blaming the cuts from goverment are you a labour councillor because you sound just like them I can't wait when they come crawling for votes I look forward to laughing in there faces like they do us. Jobs for the boys. DURHAM CITY

2:52pm Tue 18 Feb 14

MartinMo says...

sineater wrote:
The tories are the party of no hope,iff you want the same services after £200 million of cuts ,the council tax has to go up !! you can't avoid that. It's no use pretending other wise because of your political stance. The other week David Lacey approved of the over spending on free schools,because of course that is not a labour project , what a hypocrite.
I am almost certain they can find other drains on the economy to cut without affecting the already inadequate services, the elderly or those actually in need of assistance due to disabilty/poor health. There's is no justification for increasing taxes.
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: The tories are the party of no hope,iff you want the same services after £200 million of cuts ,the council tax has to go up !! you can't avoid that. It's no use pretending other wise because of your political stance. The other week David Lacey approved of the over spending on free schools,because of course that is not a labour project , what a hypocrite.[/p][/quote]I am almost certain they can find other drains on the economy to cut without affecting the already inadequate services, the elderly or those actually in need of assistance due to disabilty/poor health. There's is no justification for increasing taxes. MartinMo

5:11pm Tue 18 Feb 14

sineater says...

Jobs for the boys, oh dear, dear, dear, the council where Cameron lives are putting up the council tax by the same amount as Durham,so explain that Durham city,is it jobs for the boys there,and all the other tory councils who are ignoring the government ?David, you know very well it's the government who are cutting funding ,more so in labour areas than tory areas, also I put to you there are a group of tory councils that are ignoring the government and putting the council tax up because they know that the government are cutting to much, funny how they have preached austerity,yet after these floods ,they now say we are a very rich country and money is no object !!
Jobs for the boys, oh dear, dear, dear, the council where Cameron lives are putting up the council tax by the same amount as Durham,so explain that Durham city,is it jobs for the boys there,and all the other tory councils who are ignoring the government ?David, you know very well it's the government who are cutting funding ,more so in labour areas than tory areas, also I put to you there are a group of tory councils that are ignoring the government and putting the council tax up because they know that the government are cutting to much, funny how they have preached austerity,yet after these floods ,they now say we are a very rich country and money is no object !! sineater

11:06pm Tue 18 Feb 14

spragger says...

Come on be fair you cannot turn round dozens of years of Labour evolution.
Tax-Borrow-Spend-was
te is the only way.
Is it not?
Come on be fair you cannot turn round dozens of years of Labour evolution. Tax-Borrow-Spend-was te is the only way. Is it not? spragger

11:39pm Tue 18 Feb 14

DURHAM CITY says...

sineater wrote:
Jobs for the boys, oh dear, dear, dear, the council where Cameron lives are putting up the council tax by the same amount as Durham,so explain that Durham city,is it jobs for the boys there,and all the other tory councils who are ignoring the government ?David, you know very well it's the government who are cutting funding ,more so in labour areas than tory areas, also I put to you there are a group of tory councils that are ignoring the government and putting the council tax up because they know that the government are cutting to much, funny how they have preached austerity,yet after these floods ,they now say we are a very rich country and money is no object !!
We are talking About Durham County Council Labour Cabinet, stop being in Denial Councillor whats ya name? knock knock anyone home Hello HELLO Helloooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooo

I don't give a S-it about where Cameron lives am not that obsessed with Cameron am more obsessed about what my local Councillors are up to and holding them to account for there poor attempt at running this Council to a decent standard and by god they are not doing well so far mind are they Dear oh Dear
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: Jobs for the boys, oh dear, dear, dear, the council where Cameron lives are putting up the council tax by the same amount as Durham,so explain that Durham city,is it jobs for the boys there,and all the other tory councils who are ignoring the government ?David, you know very well it's the government who are cutting funding ,more so in labour areas than tory areas, also I put to you there are a group of tory councils that are ignoring the government and putting the council tax up because they know that the government are cutting to much, funny how they have preached austerity,yet after these floods ,they now say we are a very rich country and money is no object !![/p][/quote]We are talking About Durham County Council Labour Cabinet, stop being in Denial Councillor whats ya name? knock knock anyone home Hello HELLO Helloooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo I don't give a S-it about where Cameron lives am not that obsessed with Cameron am more obsessed about what my local Councillors are up to and holding them to account for there poor attempt at running this Council to a decent standard and by god they are not doing well so far mind are they Dear oh Dear DURHAM CITY

12:33pm Wed 19 Feb 14

sineater says...

Thanks for the insults Durham city,does your mummy know you are so naughty,now can you grow up and talk sensibly. Yes I know you want to isolate the debate to just Durham,but the issue of funding is not confined to one council. 3/4 of councils are ignoring the government,so my comments are relavant,i'm n ot concedrned with your personal vendetta against Durham council, the government are not making any difference to the amount of national debt with all their c uts all they are doing is creating suffering for innocent people. Now as it's half-term,run along now to your local playround,and play with your little friends,because it is obvious you don't have a clue .
Thanks for the insults Durham city,does your mummy know you are so naughty,now can you grow up and talk sensibly. Yes I know you want to isolate the debate to just Durham,but the issue of funding is not confined to one council. 3/4 of councils are ignoring the government,so my comments are relavant,i'm n ot concedrned with your personal vendetta against Durham council, the government are not making any difference to the amount of national debt with all their c uts all they are doing is creating suffering for innocent people. Now as it's half-term,run along now to your local playround,and play with your little friends,because it is obvious you don't have a clue . sineater

12:37pm Wed 19 Feb 14

sineater says...

Tax borrow spend c ulture of the labour government ,err the tories are borrowing more that's why the national debt is growing ,not dec lining, they put v.a.t. up which is depressing the retail industry,try again son .
Tax borrow spend c ulture of the labour government ,err the tories are borrowing more that's why the national debt is growing ,not dec lining, they put v.a.t. up which is depressing the retail industry,try again son . sineater

1:51pm Wed 19 Feb 14

MartinMo says...

VAT is very depressing, so are all the other forms of taxation and no matter who the governing body is increasing those taxes is not and will never be the solution. The more tax they take from me then rightly so I should expect more in return......not less. This however will not resolve the debt issue so cuts to spending are required and a tighter control on those areas which actually drain money from the economy.

Out of interest, who are the innocent people in your eyes...........
VAT is very depressing, so are all the other forms of taxation and no matter who the governing body is increasing those taxes is not and will never be the solution. The more tax they take from me then rightly so I should expect more in return......not less. This however will not resolve the debt issue so cuts to spending are required and a tighter control on those areas which actually drain money from the economy. Out of interest, who are the innocent people in your eyes........... MartinMo

8:56pm Wed 19 Feb 14

sineater says...

Cuts are required why? it is not reducing the debt,they are trying to go to fast in tackling the debt,they are causing more expenditure by cutting to far. Iff they slowed down the cuts and put more work into creating proper jobs ,then there would be more revenue going into the coffers.
Cuts are required why? it is not reducing the debt,they are trying to go to fast in tackling the debt,they are causing more expenditure by cutting to far. Iff they slowed down the cuts and put more work into creating proper jobs ,then there would be more revenue going into the coffers. sineater

11:29pm Wed 19 Feb 14

punkrocker says...

sineater be warned don't dare call lacey he may threaten you with the polis. free speech only as long as you don't point out what a hypocrite he is.
im slightly confused by his praise of an earlier comment regarding student debt. thought it was this tory govt who tripled tuition fees but when did those who gloat at the poor ever stop a thing called the truth getting in their way.
sineater be warned don't dare call lacey he may threaten you with the polis. free speech only as long as you don't point out what a hypocrite he is. im slightly confused by his praise of an earlier comment regarding student debt. thought it was this tory govt who tripled tuition fees but when did those who gloat at the poor ever stop a thing called the truth getting in their way. punkrocker

10:30am Thu 20 Feb 14

DURHAM CITY says...

sineater wrote:
Thanks for the insults Durham city,does your mummy know you are so naughty,now can you grow up and talk sensibly. Yes I know you want to isolate the debate to just Durham,but the issue of funding is not confined to one council. 3/4 of councils are ignoring the government,so my comments are relavant,i'm n ot concedrned with your personal vendetta against Durham council, the government are not making any difference to the amount of national debt with all their c uts all they are doing is creating suffering for innocent people. Now as it's half-term,run along now to your local playround,and play with your little friends,because it is obvious you don't have a clue .
why did you change your name on here from loonyleft did you think you might start getting people like the utter tosh that comes out your mouth on the slimey Labour lot haha my god I feel sorry for you Deluded any way you can take ya blinkers off now hahahahahahahahahaha
haha. I love it when you cry saying people have a personal vendetta against the council. No I am a tax payer who is disgusted with the running of this council so MAN up fool.
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: Thanks for the insults Durham city,does your mummy know you are so naughty,now can you grow up and talk sensibly. Yes I know you want to isolate the debate to just Durham,but the issue of funding is not confined to one council. 3/4 of councils are ignoring the government,so my comments are relavant,i'm n ot concedrned with your personal vendetta against Durham council, the government are not making any difference to the amount of national debt with all their c uts all they are doing is creating suffering for innocent people. Now as it's half-term,run along now to your local playround,and play with your little friends,because it is obvious you don't have a clue .[/p][/quote]why did you change your name on here from loonyleft did you think you might start getting people like the utter tosh that comes out your mouth on the slimey Labour lot haha my god I feel sorry for you Deluded any way you can take ya blinkers off now hahahahahahahahahaha haha. I love it when you cry saying people have a personal vendetta against the council. No I am a tax payer who is disgusted with the running of this council so MAN up fool. DURHAM CITY

10:47am Thu 20 Feb 14

DURHAM CITY says...

sineater wrote:
Tax borrow spend c ulture of the labour government ,err the tories are borrowing more that's why the national debt is growing ,not dec lining, they put v.a.t. up which is depressing the retail industry,try again son .
haha But the Economy is growing try again son. Can I have my Ball back now please pet
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: Tax borrow spend c ulture of the labour government ,err the tories are borrowing more that's why the national debt is growing ,not dec lining, they put v.a.t. up which is depressing the retail industry,try again son .[/p][/quote]haha But the Economy is growing try again son. Can I have my Ball back now please pet DURHAM CITY

12:28pm Thu 20 Feb 14

sineater says...

The economy is growing is it ? what with part time jobs,and the start of a housing bubble,don't hink so,Iff the economy is growing you can stop moaning about your council tax can't you ?,3/4 of councils in the country are raising their council tax because of the "growth" in the ec onomy ,who are you and Osbourne trying to kid ? People are going hungry bec ause of cuts,better go back to playing football son,youve had to many kicks to the head,b etter still don't play ,and get your head seen to.
The economy is growing is it ? what with part time jobs,and the start of a housing bubble,don't hink so,Iff the economy is growing you can stop moaning about your council tax can't you ?,3/4 of councils in the country are raising their council tax because of the "growth" in the ec onomy ,who are you and Osbourne trying to kid ? People are going hungry bec ause of cuts,better go back to playing football son,youve had to many kicks to the head,b etter still don't play ,and get your head seen to. sineater

12:30pm Thu 20 Feb 14

MartinMo says...

sineater wrote:
Cuts are required why? it is not reducing the debt,they are trying to go to fast in tackling the debt,they are causing more expenditure by cutting to far. Iff they slowed down the cuts and put more work into creating proper jobs ,then there would be more revenue going into the coffers.
Under present taxation on salaries, 12.5 people have to work and earn an annual salary of £20k each just to cover the benefits (capped at £26kpa) paid out to just one average family (2 adults/2 kids). If there is not enough money in the economy pot to cover the spenditure as well as clearing the nations debt.

I feel as though I am already paying too much for inadequate services so how would it be fair to expect those working for a living to pay more. Cut funding to the economical drain, this will slow down the growth of debt whilst generating excess to go towards clearing what exist already.

The nation needs to stop relying on the working class and wealthy to bail out its debt and do more to prevent its further growth as a first step.

Now answer my question to you.

As far as I am concerned, the innocent are, in cases like this, the working class.
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: Cuts are required why? it is not reducing the debt,they are trying to go to fast in tackling the debt,they are causing more expenditure by cutting to far. Iff they slowed down the cuts and put more work into creating proper jobs ,then there would be more revenue going into the coffers.[/p][/quote]Under present taxation on salaries, 12.5 people have to work and earn an annual salary of £20k each just to cover the benefits (capped at £26kpa) paid out to just one average family (2 adults/2 kids). If there is not enough money in the economy pot to cover the spenditure as well as clearing the nations debt. I feel as though I am already paying too much for inadequate services so how would it be fair to expect those working for a living to pay more. Cut funding to the economical drain, this will slow down the growth of debt whilst generating excess to go towards clearing what exist already. The nation needs to stop relying on the working class and wealthy to bail out its debt and do more to prevent its further growth as a first step. Now answer my question to you. As far as I am concerned, the innocent are, in cases like this, the working class. MartinMo

12:34pm Thu 20 Feb 14

sineater says...

Durham city ,you should be disgusted for the government cutting so much funding from councils ,because of the crimes their backers in the banking industry committed. They have to make everyone pay because they cannot punish the banking industry ,else they will lose the cash from them,your to small minded to figure something like that out ,never mind just go out and play till you grow up .
Durham city ,you should be disgusted for the government cutting so much funding from councils ,because of the crimes their backers in the banking industry committed. They have to make everyone pay because they cannot punish the banking industry ,else they will lose the cash from them,your to small minded to figure something like that out ,never mind just go out and play till you grow up . sineater

1:09pm Thu 20 Feb 14

DURHAM CITY says...

sineater wrote:
The economy is growing is it ? what with part time jobs,and the start of a housing bubble,don't hink so,Iff the economy is growing you can stop moaning about your council tax can't you ?,3/4 of councils in the country are raising their council tax because of the "growth" in the ec onomy ,who are you and Osbourne trying to kid ? People are going hungry bec ause of cuts,better go back to playing football son,youve had to many kicks to the head,b etter still don't play ,and get your head seen to.
yes so deal with it
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: The economy is growing is it ? what with part time jobs,and the start of a housing bubble,don't hink so,Iff the economy is growing you can stop moaning about your council tax can't you ?,3/4 of councils in the country are raising their council tax because of the "growth" in the ec onomy ,who are you and Osbourne trying to kid ? People are going hungry bec ause of cuts,better go back to playing football son,youve had to many kicks to the head,b etter still don't play ,and get your head seen to.[/p][/quote]yes so deal with it DURHAM CITY

1:11pm Thu 20 Feb 14

DURHAM CITY says...

sineater wrote:
Durham city ,you should be disgusted for the government cutting so much funding from councils ,because of the crimes their backers in the banking industry committed. They have to make everyone pay because they cannot punish the banking industry ,else they will lose the cash from them,your to small minded to figure something like that out ,never mind just go out and play till you grow up .
I am disgusted how much this Labour party wastes so stop changing the subject why did you change your name from loonyleft did you say haha
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: Durham city ,you should be disgusted for the government cutting so much funding from councils ,because of the crimes their backers in the banking industry committed. They have to make everyone pay because they cannot punish the banking industry ,else they will lose the cash from them,your to small minded to figure something like that out ,never mind just go out and play till you grow up .[/p][/quote]I am disgusted how much this Labour party wastes so stop changing the subject why did you change your name from loonyleft did you say haha DURHAM CITY

3:06pm Thu 20 Feb 14

sineater says...

It's all part of the same subject,so stop trying to isolate it to one area. Even tory councils can not do business with all the cuts imposed by the government,you can't make money out of thin air,so give your head a shake,iff you want a tax freeze after over £2oo million of cuts ,you will have reduced services,you cant have both it's impossible.
It's all part of the same subject,so stop trying to isolate it to one area. Even tory councils can not do business with all the cuts imposed by the government,you can't make money out of thin air,so give your head a shake,iff you want a tax freeze after over £2oo million of cuts ,you will have reduced services,you cant have both it's impossible. sineater

5:05pm Thu 20 Feb 14

laboursfoe says...

sineater wrote:
Cuts are required why? it is not reducing the debt,they are trying to go to fast in tackling the debt,they are causing more expenditure by cutting to far. Iff they slowed down the cuts and put more work into creating proper jobs ,then there would be more revenue going into the coffers.
Sin, Sin, Sin......

They can't tackle debt until the deficit is gone....... That means when the country is not paying out more in Welfare, overseas aid etc. than it gets in.

If you are spending more than comes in then you can't pay off your credit card because you end up paying more in order to service your debt. So you cut back and make sure that you don't spend more than your income then use the surplus to pay off the debts.

The problem is that you and your mates don't seem to realise that the issues that more going out than comes in causes. In other forms of life it would be called insolvent.
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: Cuts are required why? it is not reducing the debt,they are trying to go to fast in tackling the debt,they are causing more expenditure by cutting to far. Iff they slowed down the cuts and put more work into creating proper jobs ,then there would be more revenue going into the coffers.[/p][/quote]Sin, Sin, Sin...... They can't tackle debt until the deficit is gone....... That means when the country is not paying out more in Welfare, overseas aid etc. than it gets in. If you are spending more than comes in then you can't pay off your credit card because you end up paying more in order to service your debt. So you cut back and make sure that you don't spend more than your income then use the surplus to pay off the debts. The problem is that you and your mates don't seem to realise that the issues that more going out than comes in causes. In other forms of life it would be called insolvent. laboursfoe

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree