Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DST to 80360 or email us
Firefighters spread safety message with festive cheer in Middlesbrough
5:39pm Wednesday 4th December 2013 in News
CLEVELAND Fire Brigade has joined forces with Santa, a man skilled at navigating smoking chimneys, to spread festive fire safety messages.
With help from firefighters and representatives from Cleveland Fire Support Network at B&Q he warned shoppers to be aware of festive hazards at Cleveland Retail Park in Middlesbrough.
They urged passersby to keep their cookers clean as burnt food and fat can cause fires, never leave cooking unattended and don’t drink and cook.
They were also advised to turn off Christmas lights when heading out or going to bed, maintain electrical appliances and don’t hang clothes near cookers or cooker.
"We know that everyone is busy leading up to and over the festive season, so the message from Cleveland Fire Brigade is to ‘Stay Safe and Celebrate'," said Phil Lancaster, Director of Community Protection with Cleveland Fire Brigade. "Every year during the festive season, many people suffer injuries because they don’t take enough care in their own homes.
“Christmas is a time for having fun with family and friends, however it is also a time when everyone has extra fire hazards in their homes, such as festive lights and decorations.
“Without doubt, the kitchen is the most hazardous room in the home and over half of accidental house fires start there. Over the festive season cooking is a central part of the celebrations, so three of our safety tips focus on this.
“We want everyone to remember Christmas 2013 for all the right reasons and not because they ended up in Accident & Emergency or lost a loved one through a tragic accident that could have been avoided,” he added.
To arrange a free home fire safety visit call the brigade 01429-874063.
Comments are closed on this article.