100 snakes die in North Yorkshire house blaze as woman rescued by firefighters (From Darlington and Stockton Times)
Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DST to 80360 or email us
100 snakes die in North Yorkshire house blaze as woman rescued by firefighters
8:11pm Tuesday 29th October 2013 in News
A WOMAN has been taken to hospital and "up to 100" snakes killed in a North Yorkshire house fire.
The fire broke out at about 12.20pm today at a detached house in Rawcliffe, York, and four fire crews and police were called to the scene.
The woman is believed to have been trapped in a first-floor bedroom.
She was rescued from the house and taken to hospital, but her injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
Station Manager Alan Bell said the fire was originally thought to have started in the downstairs kitchen, but it was later discovered it had begun in "a reptile room" in the house.
He said there were "a significant number of snakes" in the house, and all or most of them were killed.
Comments are closed on this article.