Firefighters call off strike after progress on pensions dispute (From Darlington and Stockton Times)
Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DST to 80360 or email us
Firefighters call off strike after progress on pensions dispute
FIREFIGHTERS have called off a strike planned for tomorrow night (Saturday, October 19).
Members of the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) were due to walk out at 6.30pm on Saturday, for five hours of industrial action.
However, the strike was cancelled after progress in the dispute, which is over pensions.
The FBU said it had been presented with a similar deal to one made by the Scottish Government, covering the retirement of firefighters aged between 55 and 60.
The union had raised concerns raising the retirement age would lead to firefighters losing their jobs if they failed fitness tests, forcing them to leave on reduced pensions.
But following progress FBU officials say firefighters would now not face having to quit their job early.
The region’s brigades had been ready to run reduced services.
Responding to today’s announcement, Colin Bage, area manager and head of operations for Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We are pleased that our operational staff will be available to do what they do best – protecting the people of County Durham and Darlington.
“I would like to thank our firefighters and regional FBU officials for their professional approach. We look forward to further updates from the FBU and central government with regard to negotiations.”
Comments are closed on this article.