Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DST to 80360 or email us
Court of Appeal ruling boost for £1.4bn incinerator scheme
5:38pm Tuesday 15th October 2013 in News
A PROJECT to create a £1.4bn energy-from-waste incinerator plant has taken a major step forward after a Court of Appeal ruling.
Marton–cum-Grafton Parish Council has been refused permission to appeal against a High Court judgment which rejected an application for a judicial review into the scheme at Allerton Park, between Knaresborough and York, being given planning permission.
It is believed the ruling could signal the end of the legal battle between campaigners, led by the parish council and North Yorkshire County Council, which is working with waste firm AmeyCespa on the project.
More than two years has passed since waste firm AmeyCespa lodged a planning application to build the plant as extensive work on the planning application by officers and numerous legal challenges have delayed its progress.
After the ruling, county councillor Gareth Dadd, executive member for highways and planning services, said he was pleased the council’s planning process had been vindicated.
He said the council, which is understood to be looking for private investors following a decision by the Government to remove an anticipated £65m finding for the project, would work with AmeyCespa on the final stage the project.
Coun Dadd said the costs of the project and its expected financial benefits would be confirmed in late spring next year.
Brian Cooper, of Marton cum Grafton Parish Council, said last month he was dismayed the county council was pressing ahead with the scheme at a time when the need for waste disposal was reducing and without being aware of the project's financial consequences.
Comments are closed on this article.