Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DST to 80360 or email us
People urged to check the safety of electric blankets
WITH the winter approaching, people are being warned against the dangers of potentially lethal electric blankets.
Electrical related fires account for almost half of the accidental domestic fires in the UK, with many people using electric blankets being unaware of the risks they could present.
A round of testing in a North-East town revealed almost half of the blankets handed over were unsafe.
Around 80 blankets were tested at the event hosted by Age UK Darlington last week, with 34 found to be faulty.
Owners were offered a free replacement blanket and the Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service were on hand to provide fire safety advice.
Councillor Chris McEwan, Darlington Borough Council’s Cabinet Member for Economy and Regeneration, said: “This free testing is invaluable and saves lives as many people do not consider the potential dangers of using an electric blanket, especially an old or damaged one.
“I urge any electric blanket user who has any concerns about their blanket to have it checked over by a qualified electrician.”
Comments are closed on this article.