Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DST to 80360 or email us
Hartlepool prisoner 'was no suicide risk' when jailed in Stockton, inquest hears
A PRISONER who died in jail from severe carbon monoxide poisoning after apparently setting a fire in his cell was not deemed a threat to himself, an inquest heard today (Tuesday, March 12).
Raymond Cann, 51, died following a fire at Holme House Prison, Stockton in November, 2011.
An inquest jury heard the prisoner had severe alcohol problems and his behaviour was bizarre.
Mr Cann, of Whitby Walk, Hartlepool, was remanded in Holme House Prison awaiting sentence for criminal damage - but died four days after his arrival.
Prison officer Andrew Bates said Mr Cann would not make sense, “like he was making up words”.
He became verbally abusive, threw a curry meal at a prison officer, tried to punch Mr Bates and wiped shower gel across the entrance to his cell, he said.
However Shelley Henderson, a qualified nurse and mental health nurse, said that although Mr Cann was “full of hell” and wrecked his cell, there was no evidence he was a suicide risk or was suffering from alcohol or drugs withdrawal.
Kate Leigh Campbell, a residential governor at the prison, explained that she had interviewed Mr Cann two days earlier and he seemed calm.
Mr Cann had apologised for his earlier actions and Ms Campbell accepted a nurse’s advice that he didn’t need an assessment, to establish if he was a danger to himself or others.
Following the fire Mr Cann was taken to the University Hospital of North Tees in Stockton where he was declared dead the next day.
The inquest continues.