GOVERNMENT ministers have denied tonight (Monday, February 25) that it was for them to decide where the remains of Richard III should be laid to rest after being found beneath a Leicester car park.

Darlington and Stockton Times: The recreation of Richard III’s head

Justice minister Lord McNally said it was not for the Government or the Ministry of Justice to decide where the Kings remains will be reinterred.

In a written reply, he said it was for the University of Leicester to determine where the remains should be laid to rest.

They have indicated that they intend to reinter the remains in Leicester Cathedral, which is one of the possible locations referred to in the licence.

The licence issued by the MoJ, after the remains were confirmed earlier this month to be those of Richard III, state that they must be treated with due care and attention to decency.

There has been a competing bid to get the King, who was killed at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, interred in York, where he had close ties.