A PERVERT who abused four children over three decades was yesterday (Friday, February 22) jailed for nine-and-a-half years.
Former artilleryman William Brundle was told by a judge that the public needed to be protected from him.
Teesside Crown Court heard how the 63-year-old still maintains his innocence and has shown no remorse.
He was found guilty of raping and sexually assaulting a teenager after a trial last month.
In October 2011, he was jailed for six years for abusing three other children.
The fourth victim contacted police after learning of the conviction, prosecutor Sarah Mallett told the court.
Brundle, of Wharton Street, North Skelton, east Cleveland, still denies assaulting any of the victims.
Judge Tony Briggs told him: "It is perfectly plain you are yet to accept responsibility for your offending.
"You do not appear to have any insight or acceptance of your responsibility.
"I think it is necessary and proper for the protection of the public and the prevention of further offending."
Brundle was also put on the sex offenders' register for life and banned from having unsupervised contact with under-16s.
The court heard how he raped the girl after indecently touching her and muffling her protests.
Defence barrister, Jason Pitter, told Judge Briggs: "I have to concede that this is not an isolated incident.
"But some time has passed since the commission of all of the offences and the passage of time should be taken into account."
The court heard that the rape has had "a substantial" impact on the victim, who has endured trouble throughout her life.
Judge Briggs told Brundle: "She protested and you put your hand over her mouth to silence her.
"It was a very nasty, unpleasant and serious incident.
"Although it may be that a number of factors have gone to explain her troubles in later years, I have no doubt at all that this particular incident was a major component of that."