Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DST to 80360 or email us
Campaigners lose fight to block slaughterhouse re-opening in Boosbeck
CAMPAIGNERS fighting controversial plans to re-open a slaughterhouse in an east Cleveland village have failed in their bid to halt the scheme at the Court of Appeal.
Boosbeck Against Slaughterhouse (BASH) challenged Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council’s decision to issue a lawful development certificate to enable the new owners to re-open the site.
The plans to re-open the abattoir have proved controversial among villagers who have urged the council to reject the scheme.
However, when BHM of Middlesbrough submitted plans for a hallal slaughterhouse, the council said that no planning permission was needed as there would be no change of use of the site.
Members of BASH challenged that decision but it was thrown out by the Court of Appeal today (Wednesday, January 23) but maintain they will take their fight to Europe.
Last year, the group had their legal challenge rejected by a High Court judge in Leeds.
Neville Brown, of the group, said: “We were expecting this decision to be fair but we intend to continue fighting and get it heard in the European Court. This fight is far from over but until we read the full adjudication we don’t to comment further.”
Councillor Helen McLuckie, cabinet member for highways, transportation and planning, said: "The court verdict has underlined that the Council's position throughout this process has been proper and robust. We will continue to work with the developers and residents to try to find the best possible solution for people in the village."
Comments are closed on this article.