Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:07am Mon 21 Jan 13

Magic Steve says...

Bit of a rant.

Makes me laugh when they say they are closing Schools due to bad weather. My point is, I can understand them closing Schools where Children have to travel via transport but when they close a village school where the kids can actually walk in is a joke! At the end of the day real people have to travel to get to work and can not take time off like THE TEACHERS CAN!
Bit of a rant. Makes me laugh when they say they are closing Schools due to bad weather. My point is, I can understand them closing Schools where Children have to travel via transport but when they close a village school where the kids can actually walk in is a joke! At the end of the day real people have to travel to get to work and can not take time off like THE TEACHERS CAN! Magic Steve
  • Score: 0

9:41am Mon 21 Jan 13

lilboysmammy says...

the teachers don't make the decision to close the school the l.e.a do, so blame them
the teachers don't make the decision to close the school the l.e.a do, so blame them lilboysmammy
  • Score: 0

9:45am Mon 21 Jan 13

Magic Steve says...

lilboysmammy wrote:
the teachers don't make the decision to close the school the l.e.a do, so blame them
OK, I blame them!
[quote][p][bold]lilboysmammy[/bold] wrote: the teachers don't make the decision to close the school the l.e.a do, so blame them[/p][/quote]OK, I blame them! Magic Steve
  • Score: 0

9:48am Mon 21 Jan 13

miketually says...

lilboysmammy wrote:
the teachers don't make the decision to close the school the l.e.a do, so blame them
It's the head teacher of the individual school who makes the decision, not the LEA.
[quote][p][bold]lilboysmammy[/bold] wrote: the teachers don't make the decision to close the school the l.e.a do, so blame them[/p][/quote]It's the head teacher of the individual school who makes the decision, not the LEA. miketually
  • Score: 0

9:59am Mon 21 Jan 13

Voice-of-reality says...

One notes that independent schools usually remain open. Perhaps their Heads are made of sterner stuff or perhaps they value the importance of education more than their state counterparts.
One notes that independent schools usually remain open. Perhaps their Heads are made of sterner stuff or perhaps they value the importance of education more than their state counterparts. Voice-of-reality
  • Score: 0

2:50pm Mon 21 Jan 13

me2earth says...

@ voice-of-reality, if i could give your comment a million thumbs up i would. Teachers are a pathetic breed,i remember when the heating broke down at my school in the late 90's during snow fall,we didn't get sent home we were told to keep our coats on and lessons went ahead as normal. Its pretty much any excuse for an extra day off now.
@ voice-of-reality, if i could give your comment a million thumbs up i would. Teachers are a pathetic breed,i remember when the heating broke down at my school in the late 90's during snow fall,we didn't get sent home we were told to keep our coats on and lessons went ahead as normal. Its pretty much any excuse for an extra day off now. me2earth
  • Score: 0

3:07pm Mon 21 Jan 13

stevegg says...

Its an absolute scandal in this day and age that schools close (whoevers to bliam for it) when everywhere else manages to stay open and their staff manage to get into work. Health and Safety is just an excuse. You have to take into account the disruption to parents, many of whom will have also to take time off work. Its high time that the dinosaur teachers unions were overhauled and brought into the modern age like almost all other unions have had to. Imagine what would have happenned if the teachers were made to reform their pay and working conditions as the police have had to forcibly undergo in the last 12 months with no industrial rights!
Its an absolute scandal in this day and age that schools close (whoevers to bliam for it) when everywhere else manages to stay open and their staff manage to get into work. Health and Safety is just an excuse. You have to take into account the disruption to parents, many of whom will have also to take time off work. Its high time that the dinosaur teachers unions were overhauled and brought into the modern age like almost all other unions have had to. Imagine what would have happenned if the teachers were made to reform their pay and working conditions as the police have had to forcibly undergo in the last 12 months with no industrial rights! stevegg
  • Score: 0

3:26pm Mon 21 Jan 13

fracker says...

If teachers or pupils were involved in accidents would you jokers pay the compensation,work can be e-mailed to pupils to keep them occupied,this is the 21st century you know!!!
If teachers or pupils were involved in accidents would you jokers pay the compensation,work can be e-mailed to pupils to keep them occupied,this is the 21st century you know!!! fracker
  • Score: 0

3:40pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Motorhome owner says...

Why on Earth was Acklam Grange School in Middlesbrough closed today? Pupils arrived as usual but were then sent away later.
It's actually been thawing in the area round the school all day, there is less snow now than first thing this morning.
Why on Earth was Acklam Grange School in Middlesbrough closed today? Pupils arrived as usual but were then sent away later. It's actually been thawing in the area round the school all day, there is less snow now than first thing this morning. Motorhome owner
  • Score: 0

3:43pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Magic Steve says...

fracker wrote:
If teachers or pupils were involved in accidents would you jokers pay the compensation,work can be e-mailed to pupils to keep them occupied,this is the 21st century you know!!!
I don't think any of the above are Jokers! They are only stating a point as to why "Teachers are so special compared to people who have to work for a living!

Rant over.
[quote][p][bold]fracker[/bold] wrote: If teachers or pupils were involved in accidents would you jokers pay the compensation,work can be e-mailed to pupils to keep them occupied,this is the 21st century you know!!![/p][/quote]I don't think any of the above are Jokers! They are only stating a point as to why "Teachers are so special compared to people who have to work for a living! Rant over. Magic Steve
  • Score: 0

3:57pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Motorhome owner says...

fracker wrote:
If teachers or pupils were involved in accidents would you jokers pay the compensation,work can be e-mailed to pupils to keep them occupied,this is the 21st century you know!!!
Why should any compensation be payable? We live in a country where it snows in winter and we get ice because of low temperatures. We learn before ever going to school that snow and ice are slippery and we need to take care - and that it is our fault if we slip. It is about time people started taking responsibility for themselves again instead of always looking for somebody to blame/sue.
[quote][p][bold]fracker[/bold] wrote: If teachers or pupils were involved in accidents would you jokers pay the compensation,work can be e-mailed to pupils to keep them occupied,this is the 21st century you know!!![/p][/quote]Why should any compensation be payable? We live in a country where it snows in winter and we get ice because of low temperatures. We learn before ever going to school that snow and ice are slippery and we need to take care - and that it is our fault if we slip. It is about time people started taking responsibility for themselves again instead of always looking for somebody to blame/sue. Motorhome owner
  • Score: 0

4:04pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Magic Steve says...

Motorhome owner wrote:
fracker wrote:
If teachers or pupils were involved in accidents would you jokers pay the compensation,work can be e-mailed to pupils to keep them occupied,this is the 21st century you know!!!
Why should any compensation be payable? We live in a country where it snows in winter and we get ice because of low temperatures. We learn before ever going to school that snow and ice are slippery and we need to take care - and that it is our fault if we slip. It is about time people started taking responsibility for themselves again instead of always looking for somebody to blame/sue.
Well said!
[quote][p][bold]Motorhome owner[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fracker[/bold] wrote: If teachers or pupils were involved in accidents would you jokers pay the compensation,work can be e-mailed to pupils to keep them occupied,this is the 21st century you know!!![/p][/quote]Why should any compensation be payable? We live in a country where it snows in winter and we get ice because of low temperatures. We learn before ever going to school that snow and ice are slippery and we need to take care - and that it is our fault if we slip. It is about time people started taking responsibility for themselves again instead of always looking for somebody to blame/sue.[/p][/quote]Well said! Magic Steve
  • Score: 0

4:12pm Mon 21 Jan 13

stevegg says...

fracker wrote:
If teachers or pupils were involved in accidents would you jokers pay the compensation,work can be e-mailed to pupils to keep them occupied,this is the 21st century you know!!!
So why dont the teaching unions move into the 21st century instead of clinging onto their 'our way or no way' mentalities??????? By the way were not jokers, just stating facts.
[quote][p][bold]fracker[/bold] wrote: If teachers or pupils were involved in accidents would you jokers pay the compensation,work can be e-mailed to pupils to keep them occupied,this is the 21st century you know!!![/p][/quote]So why dont the teaching unions move into the 21st century instead of clinging onto their 'our way or no way' mentalities??????? By the way were not jokers, just stating facts. stevegg
  • Score: 0

4:32pm Mon 21 Jan 13

A mazing says...

The truth hurts! Schools closing yet again...Suprise, Suprise!! Why when everytime we get some snow teachers decide to opt for the easy life and close schools???? Why should they get away with it in this day and age?? come on, get a grip its a bit of snow...nothing that a bit of dedication to work, careful planning and careful driving cant solve!! Absolutely ridiculous that teachers seem to think its too dangerous for them to carry out their duty, attend work and teach children as they're paid to do of course!!!! What if all of us working in hospitals decide its too dangerous to go to work??? people are neglected or die because theres no one there to care for them! Everytime teachers close schools they are stating to me that they do not consider childrens education to be that important to them and that it is beneath them to do what everyone else in the Country is doing, making their way to work regardless, now thats dedication! Well done to all who have made it safely to work and back in this white stuff! And teachers time someone shook you all up and showed you the real world!
The truth hurts! Schools closing yet again...Suprise, Suprise!! Why when everytime we get some snow teachers decide to opt for the easy life and close schools???? Why should they get away with it in this day and age?? come on, get a grip its a bit of snow...nothing that a bit of dedication to work, careful planning and careful driving cant solve!! Absolutely ridiculous that teachers seem to think its too dangerous for them to carry out their duty, attend work and teach children as they're paid to do of course!!!! What if all of us working in hospitals decide its too dangerous to go to work??? people are neglected or die because theres no one there to care for them! Everytime teachers close schools they are stating to me that they do not consider childrens education to be that important to them and that it is beneath them to do what everyone else in the Country is doing, making their way to work regardless, now thats dedication! Well done to all who have made it safely to work and back in this white stuff! And teachers time someone shook you all up and showed you the real world! A mazing
  • Score: 0

5:20pm Mon 21 Jan 13

fracker says...

Amazing, don't you or the other jokers read peoples comments properly,the schools are closed because there would be trouble with healthand safety wether you think there should be or not ,those are facts as well.As i said pupils will not suffer teachers will make sure no work is missed.Teachers do live in the real world that's why they have to consider childrens safety first,and also.in village schools most of the pupils are near t hand but many live out in the countryside and the teachers may live many miles away,and may be stopped by closed roads in getting to school,how about you jokers entering thee real world before opening your mouthes!!!!
Amazing, don't you or the other jokers read peoples comments properly,the schools are closed because there would be trouble with healthand safety wether you think there should be or not ,those are facts as well.As i said pupils will not suffer teachers will make sure no work is missed.Teachers do live in the real world that's why they have to consider childrens safety first,and also.in village schools most of the pupils are near t hand but many live out in the countryside and the teachers may live many miles away,and may be stopped by closed roads in getting to school,how about you jokers entering thee real world before opening your mouthes!!!! fracker
  • Score: 0

5:20pm Mon 21 Jan 13

fracker says...

Amazing, don't you or the other jokers read peoples comments properly,the schools are closed because there would be trouble with healthand safety wether you think there should be or not ,those are facts as well.As i said pupils will not suffer teachers will make sure no work is missed.Teachers do live in the real world that's why they have to consider childrens safety first,and also.in village schools most of the pupils are near t hand but many live out in the countryside and the teachers may live many miles away,and may be stopped by closed roads in getting to school,how about you jokers entering thee real world before opening your mouthes!!!!
Amazing, don't you or the other jokers read peoples comments properly,the schools are closed because there would be trouble with healthand safety wether you think there should be or not ,those are facts as well.As i said pupils will not suffer teachers will make sure no work is missed.Teachers do live in the real world that's why they have to consider childrens safety first,and also.in village schools most of the pupils are near t hand but many live out in the countryside and the teachers may live many miles away,and may be stopped by closed roads in getting to school,how about you jokers entering thee real world before opening your mouthes!!!! fracker
  • Score: 0

5:22pm Mon 21 Jan 13

frankyboy says...

Teachers don't decide to close the school, it is the decision of the Headteacher. Some of the schools will have had very few pupils turning up, and those that did may have had a problem getting home as the snow continued to fall most of the day. Bus companies themselves will decide to cancel their transport, leaving pupils at home perhaps with no way of getting to school.

There are more variables to consider than just 'lazy' teachers, who probably have nothing to do with the decision to close anyway.

And I'm not a teacher!
Teachers don't decide to close the school, it is the decision of the Headteacher. Some of the schools will have had very few pupils turning up, and those that did may have had a problem getting home as the snow continued to fall most of the day. Bus companies themselves will decide to cancel their transport, leaving pupils at home perhaps with no way of getting to school. There are more variables to consider than just 'lazy' teachers, who probably have nothing to do with the decision to close anyway. And I'm not a teacher! frankyboy
  • Score: 0

5:38pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Motorhome owner says...

fracker wrote:
Amazing, don't you or the other jokers read peoples comments properly,the schools are closed because there would be trouble with healthand safety wether you think there should be or not ,those are facts as well.As i said pupils will not suffer teachers will make sure no work is missed.Teachers do live in the real world that's why they have to consider childrens safety first,and also.in village schools most of the pupils are near t hand but many live out in the countryside and the teachers may live many miles away,and may be stopped by closed roads in getting to school,how about you jokers entering thee real world before opening your mouthes!!!!
fracker wrote: "the teachers may live many miles away,and may be stopped by closed roads in getting to school"

Now whatever other reasons there might be, this is one that is totally invalid and totally unacceptable. When any of us takes a job in the real world, part of our contract is to make sure we live close enough so that we can get to work whatever the weather conditions (remember, snow and ice in winter are normal in this country). That applies even more so for teachers, who can't simply take a day's annual leave when they don't turn up (something they know before they take the job). Any teacher who fails to get to work because of the distance between where they choose to live and to work should lose a day's pay and if they continue to default they should be dismissed.
[quote][p][bold]fracker[/bold] wrote: Amazing, don't you or the other jokers read peoples comments properly,the schools are closed because there would be trouble with healthand safety wether you think there should be or not ,those are facts as well.As i said pupils will not suffer teachers will make sure no work is missed.Teachers do live in the real world that's why they have to consider childrens safety first,and also.in village schools most of the pupils are near t hand but many live out in the countryside and the teachers may live many miles away,and may be stopped by closed roads in getting to school,how about you jokers entering thee real world before opening your mouthes!!!![/p][/quote]fracker wrote: "the teachers may live many miles away,and may be stopped by closed roads in getting to school" Now whatever other reasons there might be, this is one that is totally invalid and totally unacceptable. When any of us takes a job in the real world, part of our contract is to make sure we live close enough so that we can get to work whatever the weather conditions (remember, snow and ice in winter are normal in this country). That applies even more so for teachers, who can't simply take a day's annual leave when they don't turn up (something they know before they take the job). Any teacher who fails to get to work because of the distance between where they choose to live and to work should lose a day's pay and if they continue to default they should be dismissed. Motorhome owner
  • Score: 0

6:22pm Mon 21 Jan 13

fracker says...

Motorhomeowner,Are you kidding everyone has to make sure they live close to their job,what about all the commuters in the country.You can't commpensate a teacher ,what about if a teacher is in an accident,sick money to pay,paying a stand in teacher ,and if the police and rac,aa,tell you to stay at home ,but the school insist pupils must go to school and some pupils are involved in accidents,their parents will just do nothing?
Motorhomeowner,Are you kidding everyone has to make sure they live close to their job,what about all the commuters in the country.You can't commpensate a teacher ,what about if a teacher is in an accident,sick money to pay,paying a stand in teacher ,and if the police and rac,aa,tell you to stay at home ,but the school insist pupils must go to school and some pupils are involved in accidents,their parents will just do nothing? fracker
  • Score: 0

6:39pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Motorhome owner says...

What about all the commuters? They are commuters because they want to be. Nobody forces them to live sofar from their work so it is up to them to make sure they do so responsibly.
As for the spurious compensation argument see my earlier comment - people need to take responsibility for themselves not simply pass the buck.
What about all the commuters? They are commuters because they want to be. Nobody forces them to live sofar from their work so it is up to them to make sure they do so responsibly. As for the spurious compensation argument see my earlier comment - people need to take responsibility for themselves not simply pass the buck. Motorhome owner
  • Score: 0

6:49pm Mon 21 Jan 13

fracker says...

Magic Steve, Are teachers special compared to people who have to work,i don't think you have a clue about teaching ,you couldn't cope with all the work involved,the job doesn't stop when the kids go home,and contrary to the popular misconception,they don't get the same holidays as pupils either. What good would it do if a pupil had an accident,missed a lot of time of school damaging their education,then you watch the news,and the police tell you not to travel,what is more important,your health,or a few days of school.
Magic Steve, Are teachers special compared to people who have to work,i don't think you have a clue about teaching ,you couldn't cope with all the work involved,the job doesn't stop when the kids go home,and contrary to the popular misconception,they don't get the same holidays as pupils either. What good would it do if a pupil had an accident,missed a lot of time of school damaging their education,then you watch the news,and the police tell you not to travel,what is more important,your health,or a few days of school. fracker
  • Score: 0

7:03pm Mon 21 Jan 13

spragger says...

Shocking how many schools are closed. The NUT & NASUWT have the taxpayers by the short & curlies. I can only remember one day when schools were closed in the past.
- The 'real' winter of 1963.
Shocking how many schools are closed. The NUT & NASUWT have the taxpayers by the short & curlies. I can only remember one day when schools were closed in the past. - The 'real' winter of 1963. spragger
  • Score: 0

7:54pm Mon 21 Jan 13

IanfromCrook says...

Usual reason for a school to shut is lack of staff. In years gone by BT(before thatcher) people found work near to their family base. That goes for teachers ....... now they often travel many times the distance than the furthest pupils.
It no longer seems a factor in deciding who gets a job Commuter Madness negatively impacts on lots of areas. Lack of job prospects then and now serves to fuel this madness as does the lack of decent affordable housing all over.
Usual reason for a school to shut is lack of staff. In years gone by BT(before thatcher) people found work near to their family base. That goes for teachers ....... now they often travel many times the distance than the furthest pupils. It no longer seems a factor in deciding who gets a job Commuter Madness negatively impacts on lots of areas. Lack of job prospects then and now serves to fuel this madness as does the lack of decent affordable housing all over. IanfromCrook
  • Score: 0

7:56pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Longbowman666 says...

Isn't it 'amazing' how when something like this happens all the old chestnuts come out? 'Ee, when I were a lad we 'ad to put 'ats 'an coats on 'an get on 'wi it!" Where were some of you educated at, Dotheboys Hall with Mr Squeers as your teacher?

And even if you did do as some of you say, did it make it right? Did your education benefit from this approach, or do you recall it with a less than nostalgic shiver?

I'm not a teacher. I am a parent, who does indeed believe that an education is vital, but reading some of the comments I've seen here makes me despair. Do you lot honestly believe that the decision to close a school is made just because the teachers want a day off? Oh, yes, I forgot, it's because they're lazy etc etc!

In case anyone hadn't noticed a very good example of why such decisions get made happened today. In Wales a school bus slid off the road and into a ditch, due to the snow / ice conditions. Luckily no-one was hurt, but the result could have well been very different. Think of the parents of those children when they were informed and how they must have felt, thinking the 'what if' scenario? What if they'd been injured? What if they'd died? What if the school had been closed, or I'd not let them go?

I might also add that even if the schools manage to open, don't you think that it should be the parents who should judge whether it is safe for their children to get to school, or safe to come back? Yes I want them educated, but I also want them safe.

And it is interesting to see how a viewpoint can alter depending upon the situation. On one hand you might read a headline that tells you of a person's struggle to get to work, and you might say 'well done, good for you'. Equally, if that person is reported as having to be rescued from a snowdrift by the emergency services you might say 'well, if they'd stopped at home that wouldn't have happened'

So, when you make such ill-informed and nostalgia driven judgements perhaps you might like to think a bit first. Yes, we know that nurses etc do go to great lengths to ensure their patients are looked after, but if they do become trapped by snow in a hospital then at least they are able to (and have done so) bed down there, with some resources. What resources would a teacher have, if they too can't get home?

Dickens's world was a long time ago and now resides in books...let it stay there!
Isn't it 'amazing' how when something like this happens all the old chestnuts come out? 'Ee, when I were a lad we 'ad to put 'ats 'an coats on 'an get on 'wi it!" Where were some of you educated at, Dotheboys Hall with Mr Squeers as your teacher? And even if you did do as some of you say, did it make it right? Did your education benefit from this approach, or do you recall it with a less than nostalgic shiver? I'm not a teacher. I am a parent, who does indeed believe that an education is vital, but reading some of the comments I've seen here makes me despair. Do you lot honestly believe that the decision to close a school is made just because the teachers want a day off? Oh, yes, I forgot, it's because they're lazy etc etc! In case anyone hadn't noticed a very good example of why such decisions get made happened today. In Wales a school bus slid off the road and into a ditch, due to the snow / ice conditions. Luckily no-one was hurt, but the result could have well been very different. Think of the parents of those children when they were informed and how they must have felt, thinking the 'what if' scenario? What if they'd been injured? What if they'd died? What if the school had been closed, or I'd not let them go? I might also add that even if the schools manage to open, don't you think that it should be the parents who should judge whether it is safe for their children to get to school, or safe to come back? Yes I want them educated, but I also want them safe. And it is interesting to see how a viewpoint can alter depending upon the situation. On one hand you might read a headline that tells you of a person's struggle to get to work, and you might say 'well done, good for you'. Equally, if that person is reported as having to be rescued from a snowdrift by the emergency services you might say 'well, if they'd stopped at home that wouldn't have happened' So, when you make such ill-informed and nostalgia driven judgements perhaps you might like to think a bit first. Yes, we know that nurses etc do go to great lengths to ensure their patients are looked after, but if they do become trapped by snow in a hospital then at least they are able to (and have done so) bed down there, with some resources. What resources would a teacher have, if they too can't get home? Dickens's world was a long time ago and now resides in books...let it stay there! Longbowman666
  • Score: 0

8:33pm Mon 21 Jan 13

spragger says...

So whilst off these kids are travelling miles to all sorts of hills for sledging.
Parents are transporting them in CARS. Which teachers find difficult to drive.
They are sledging down hills slamming into each other, falling off, running into barbed wire in the fences.
Which is more 'dangerous'?

If we had a choice we would use our money, boycott the closed schools and pay for the ones who can bother to teach.
Never have so many been conned by so few.
- If they were not paid watch them turn up
So whilst off these kids are travelling miles to all sorts of hills for sledging. Parents are transporting them in CARS. Which teachers find difficult to drive. They are sledging down hills slamming into each other, falling off, running into barbed wire in the fences. Which is more 'dangerous'? If we had a choice we would use our money, boycott the closed schools and pay for the ones who can bother to teach. Never have so many been conned by so few. - If they were not paid watch them turn up spragger
  • Score: 0

8:37pm Mon 21 Jan 13

IanfromCrook says...

Longbowman666 wrote:
Isn't it 'amazing' how when something like this happens all the old chestnuts come out? 'Ee, when I were a lad we 'ad to put 'ats 'an coats on 'an get on 'wi it!" Where were some of you educated at, Dotheboys Hall with Mr Squeers as your teacher?

And even if you did do as some of you say, did it make it right? Did your education benefit from this approach, or do you recall it with a less than nostalgic shiver?

I'm not a teacher. I am a parent, who does indeed believe that an education is vital, but reading some of the comments I've seen here makes me despair. Do you lot honestly believe that the decision to close a school is made just because the teachers want a day off? Oh, yes, I forgot, it's because they're lazy etc etc!

In case anyone hadn't noticed a very good example of why such decisions get made happened today. In Wales a school bus slid off the road and into a ditch, due to the snow / ice conditions. Luckily no-one was hurt, but the result could have well been very different. Think of the parents of those children when they were informed and how they must have felt, thinking the 'what if' scenario? What if they'd been injured? What if they'd died? What if the school had been closed, or I'd not let them go?

I might also add that even if the schools manage to open, don't you think that it should be the parents who should judge whether it is safe for their children to get to school, or safe to come back? Yes I want them educated, but I also want them safe.

And it is interesting to see how a viewpoint can alter depending upon the situation. On one hand you might read a headline that tells you of a person's struggle to get to work, and you might say 'well done, good for you'. Equally, if that person is reported as having to be rescued from a snowdrift by the emergency services you might say 'well, if they'd stopped at home that wouldn't have happened'

So, when you make such ill-informed and nostalgia driven judgements perhaps you might like to think a bit first. Yes, we know that nurses etc do go to great lengths to ensure their patients are looked after, but if they do become trapped by snow in a hospital then at least they are able to (and have done so) bed down there, with some resources. What resources would a teacher have, if they too can't get home?

Dickens's world was a long time ago and now resides in books...let it stay there!
I do not say they are lazy. I say they live too far away. My point is valid, my son is abroad teaching for a while. When he touched down it was minus 27 and has now reached the heights of minus 8, with snow landing on the runway and roads. Is there closures.........nop
e. Do the staff live near........yes. Incidentally they have a very hot summer .. I would have mentioned Sweden, Iceland, Norway but the defence would be that these countries are used to it..
People do not want accidents happening but it is laughable to other countries that the UK falls apart. If the family and community is so important to politicians there actions over the last 35 years indicates the opposite.
[quote][p][bold]Longbowman666[/bold] wrote: Isn't it 'amazing' how when something like this happens all the old chestnuts come out? 'Ee, when I were a lad we 'ad to put 'ats 'an coats on 'an get on 'wi it!" Where were some of you educated at, Dotheboys Hall with Mr Squeers as your teacher? And even if you did do as some of you say, did it make it right? Did your education benefit from this approach, or do you recall it with a less than nostalgic shiver? I'm not a teacher. I am a parent, who does indeed believe that an education is vital, but reading some of the comments I've seen here makes me despair. Do you lot honestly believe that the decision to close a school is made just because the teachers want a day off? Oh, yes, I forgot, it's because they're lazy etc etc! In case anyone hadn't noticed a very good example of why such decisions get made happened today. In Wales a school bus slid off the road and into a ditch, due to the snow / ice conditions. Luckily no-one was hurt, but the result could have well been very different. Think of the parents of those children when they were informed and how they must have felt, thinking the 'what if' scenario? What if they'd been injured? What if they'd died? What if the school had been closed, or I'd not let them go? I might also add that even if the schools manage to open, don't you think that it should be the parents who should judge whether it is safe for their children to get to school, or safe to come back? Yes I want them educated, but I also want them safe. And it is interesting to see how a viewpoint can alter depending upon the situation. On one hand you might read a headline that tells you of a person's struggle to get to work, and you might say 'well done, good for you'. Equally, if that person is reported as having to be rescued from a snowdrift by the emergency services you might say 'well, if they'd stopped at home that wouldn't have happened' So, when you make such ill-informed and nostalgia driven judgements perhaps you might like to think a bit first. Yes, we know that nurses etc do go to great lengths to ensure their patients are looked after, but if they do become trapped by snow in a hospital then at least they are able to (and have done so) bed down there, with some resources. What resources would a teacher have, if they too can't get home? Dickens's world was a long time ago and now resides in books...let it stay there![/p][/quote]I do not say they are lazy. I say they live too far away. My point is valid, my son is abroad teaching for a while. When he touched down it was minus 27 and has now reached the heights of minus 8, with snow landing on the runway and roads. Is there closures.........nop e. Do the staff live near........yes. Incidentally they have a very hot summer .. I would have mentioned Sweden, Iceland, Norway but the defence would be that these countries are used to it.. People do not want accidents happening but it is laughable to other countries that the UK falls apart. If the family and community is so important to politicians there actions over the last 35 years indicates the opposite. IanfromCrook
  • Score: 0

9:30pm Mon 21 Jan 13

diga says...

Could the teachers not go to the closest school, if they are able to, to help out? That would help parents who have to work so they don't have to find child care at the last minute.
Could the teachers not go to the closest school, if they are able to, to help out? That would help parents who have to work so they don't have to find child care at the last minute. diga
  • Score: 0

10:44pm Mon 21 Jan 13

A mazing says...

spragger wrote:
So whilst off these kids are travelling miles to all sorts of hills for sledging.
Parents are transporting them in CARS. Which teachers find difficult to drive.
They are sledging down hills slamming into each other, falling off, running into barbed wire in the fences.
Which is more 'dangerous'?

If we had a choice we would use our money, boycott the closed schools and pay for the ones who can bother to teach.
Never have so many been conned by so few.
- If they were not paid watch them turn up
There are ways around closing schools I am very sure of that, just no one can be bothered to sort it! Teachers and heads should be penalised financially for closing schools due to usual winter weather; Just as us parents would be if we decided to take children out of school for holidays as apparently that's missing valuable learning time regardless of the reason for missing it. Can I just add that the year before last my children missed 2 weeks of school due to snow and the schools closing & NO extra work was provided to make sure they didnt get behind or miss out. Spragger totally agree with your comments above. So many children have been badly injured playing in the snow, some may have been avoided had they been at school
[quote][p][bold]spragger[/bold] wrote: So whilst off these kids are travelling miles to all sorts of hills for sledging. Parents are transporting them in CARS. Which teachers find difficult to drive. They are sledging down hills slamming into each other, falling off, running into barbed wire in the fences. Which is more 'dangerous'? If we had a choice we would use our money, boycott the closed schools and pay for the ones who can bother to teach. Never have so many been conned by so few. - If they were not paid watch them turn up[/p][/quote]There are ways around closing schools I am very sure of that, just no one can be bothered to sort it! Teachers and heads should be penalised financially for closing schools due to usual winter weather; Just as us parents would be if we decided to take children out of school for holidays as apparently that's missing valuable learning time regardless of the reason for missing it. Can I just add that the year before last my children missed 2 weeks of school due to snow and the schools closing & NO extra work was provided to make sure they didnt get behind or miss out. Spragger totally agree with your comments above. So many children have been badly injured playing in the snow, some may have been avoided had they been at school A mazing
  • Score: 0

10:48pm Mon 21 Jan 13

bishop1 says...

no work no pay , like it is for the rest of us in the real world
no work no pay , like it is for the rest of us in the real world bishop1
  • Score: 0

11:37pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Longbowman666 says...

So none of you as a kid ever fell out of a tree, rolled down a hill, scraped your knee, fell off a sled? Yes, guess what, hold the front page, kids do sometimes hurt themselves!

There is, however, a world of difference between these things and a car / bus crash where the vehicles slide on snow and ice, or where pupils can't get to schools due to distance and become stranded. Ah, but in your day you all walked 5 miles in the terrible winter of 1963 (which as we all know was the only winter that we've ever really had...) and never had a day off (not even a sneaky one to play in the snow)

Today I battled through the snow both there and back (walking, as I don't drive) to the local primary school, (which had managed to open), with my nine year old daughter, in the teeth of a blizzard there and back. With the deluge of snow we've had today, I have now judged that even if, by some miracle the school opens, I will not be taking her, as today was hell enough for us both and I'm not willing to put her through that again. Does that make me lazy etc, or does it make me a sensible parent with a sense of responsibility?

A mazing - out of curiosity, did you ever ask the school if they would set work for them? My child was off ill and I asked them to do so, and they did.

Penalising teachers financially - so you advocate a system whereby even if the weather is atrocious that they must get in to work. And if that person has a serious accident on their way to work or coming back, because they are so scared of losing money, which results in their injury or death, then how would rate it a success?

As for the distance / work issue - once again the world has changed, Decades ago teachers in village schools did live in their locality, but not anymore, no more than all of the children do. There is no difference between them and any other person who has to travel a distance. Yes, I do agree that we can learn from other countries and how things are done, but this is now, not the past or the future, and people will cope as best they can, including the teachers!
So none of you as a kid ever fell out of a tree, rolled down a hill, scraped your knee, fell off a sled? Yes, guess what, hold the front page, kids do sometimes hurt themselves! There is, however, a world of difference between these things and a car / bus crash where the vehicles slide on snow and ice, or where pupils can't get to schools due to distance and become stranded. Ah, but in your day you all walked 5 miles in the terrible winter of 1963 (which as we all know was the only winter that we've ever really had...) and never had a day off (not even a sneaky one to play in the snow) Today I battled through the snow both there and back (walking, as I don't drive) to the local primary school, (which had managed to open), with my nine year old daughter, in the teeth of a blizzard there and back. With the deluge of snow we've had today, I have now judged that even if, by some miracle the school opens, I will not be taking her, as today was hell enough for us both and I'm not willing to put her through that again. Does that make me lazy etc, or does it make me a sensible parent with a sense of responsibility? A mazing - out of curiosity, did you ever ask the school if they would set work for them? My child was off ill and I asked them to do so, and they did. Penalising teachers financially - so you advocate a system whereby even if the weather is atrocious that they must get in to work. And if that person has a serious accident on their way to work or coming back, because they are so scared of losing money, which results in their injury or death, then how would rate it a success? As for the distance / work issue - once again the world has changed, Decades ago teachers in village schools did live in their locality, but not anymore, no more than all of the children do. There is no difference between them and any other person who has to travel a distance. Yes, I do agree that we can learn from other countries and how things are done, but this is now, not the past or the future, and people will cope as best they can, including the teachers! Longbowman666
  • Score: 0

8:37am Tue 22 Jan 13

glyn says...

If individual pupils cannot get in from remote villages their parents should explain this to the school and then if need be make arrangements to look after their children whether this is by the child's parents, neighbours or friends. Why should the majority be inconvenienced by the few?

I will tell you why.

Look on the social network and teachers are leaving comments cheering and laughing because they have the day (days) off.

This is just an excuse for a day off shopping or in the pub.

Please look before you reply deriding this comment.”
If individual pupils cannot get in from remote villages their parents should explain this to the school and then if need be make arrangements to look after their children whether this is by the child's parents, neighbours or friends. Why should the majority be inconvenienced by the few? I will tell you why. Look on the social network and teachers are leaving comments cheering and laughing because they have the day (days) off. This is just an excuse for a day off shopping or in the pub. Please look before you reply deriding this comment.” glyn
  • Score: 0

9:15am Tue 22 Jan 13

mark.wilkinson says...

It's disgraceful that the schools shut at the first sign of snow.

Get on with it for gods sake. Our kids are going to grow up like real wimps.

Typical teachers taking the pi$$ again and going for the easy option. Another day off!....Ohh it's snowin,g let's shut the gates and go back to bed. Shirking fcukers that they are.
It's disgraceful that the schools shut at the first sign of snow. Get on with it for gods sake. Our kids are going to grow up like real wimps. Typical teachers taking the pi$$ again and going for the easy option. Another day off!....Ohh it's snowin,g let's shut the gates and go back to bed. Shirking fcukers that they are. mark.wilkinson
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Wed 23 Jan 13

burgardsi says...

just before I looked at the bank draft which was of $4229, I have faith that my cousin was like actualey making money parttime on their apple labtop.. there moms best frend started doing this 4 only 22 months and just repaid the loans on their condo and bourt themselves a Cadillac. we looked here, FAB33.COM
just before I looked at the bank draft which was of $4229, I have faith that my cousin was like actualey making money parttime on their apple labtop.. there moms best frend started doing this 4 only 22 months and just repaid the loans on their condo and bourt themselves a Cadillac. we looked here, FAB33.COM burgardsi
  • Score: 0

1:02pm Wed 23 Jan 13

burgardsi says...

If you think Bruce`s story is super,, a month-ago my uncle's step daughter got paid $9228 working a fourty hour month an their house and the're classmate's mother-in-law`s neighbour was doing this for seven months and brought home more than $9228 parttime from their laptop. follow the guide on this link... FAB33.COM
If you think Bruce`s story is super,, a month-ago my uncle's step daughter got paid $9228 working a fourty hour month an their house and the're classmate's mother-in-law`s neighbour was doing this for seven months and brought home more than $9228 parttime from their laptop. follow the guide on this link... FAB33.COM burgardsi
  • Score: 0

5:10pm Fri 25 Jan 13

robbiejay says...

Teachers are wimps, they claim to be the worst done-to profession but are completely detached from the real world. I despise their outlook and attitude and wonder how long they would survive in any different employment. The day I phone my boss and say "Sorry, it's snowing, I can't come to work" is the day I head to the job centre.

I have teacher friends on social networking sites and they all rejoice when they get a day off.
Teachers are wimps, they claim to be the worst done-to profession but are completely detached from the real world. I despise their outlook and attitude and wonder how long they would survive in any different employment. The day I phone my boss and say "Sorry, it's snowing, I can't come to work" is the day I head to the job centre. I have teacher friends on social networking sites and they all rejoice when they get a day off. robbiejay
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree