Woman burns hands lighting living room fire in Northallerton

First published in News
Last updated
Darlington and Stockton Times: Photograph of the Author by

A WOMAN was taken to hospital tonight suffering burns to her hands after a bottle of nail varnish remover - wrapped in newspapers she had been using to start a living room fire - ignited.

A spokesman for the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said two appliances were sent to Valley Road, Northallerton, at 6.25pm.

The spokesman said: “The incident involved a fire in the living room of the property.

“The female occupier was trying to light the living room fire and she was using scrap paper they have.

“However, wrapped in the scrap paper was a bottle of nail varnish remover she had not been aware of.

“When she put that on the fire it rapidly ignited and the contents caused burns to her hands.”

She added: “Our crews treated her on the scene with gel packs and she was transported to the Friarage Hospital by the North East Ambulance Service, where she was further treated.”

Her burns were described as minor.

The fire, which caused minimal damage to the living room, was extinguished before the arrival of firefighters. 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree