Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DST to 80360 or email us
Pensioner saved by Halloween rescuer
4:03pm Thursday 1st November 2012 in News
TRICK-or-treat night proved to be a potential lifesaver for a pensioner in her burning home.
A man who was trick-or-treating with his child ran into the bungalow in Harrogate and rescued 77-year-old Anne Kirby.
The incident in Fairways Avenue happened shortly before 6pm on Wednesday and firefighters arrived shortly after Mrs Kirby had been taken to safety. She was taken to hospital suffering from mild smoke inhalation.
Her son Neil, 49, said “I think the guy saw the smoke and another lad from over the road came across. Between them they pulled my mum out.
“I’d like to thank both of them. It was lucky it was Halloween and there were people around. It could have been a lot worse.”
A fire service spokesman said the fire was believed to have started in the kitchen, which suffered severe smoke and fire damage.
“There were smoke alarms fitted but unsure if these activated and raised the alarm as they were completely destroyed by the fire.”
The cause is believed to have been accidental.
Comments are closed on this article.